Museums That Were Part Of The Management
» Conselheiro Rodrigues Alves Historical and Pedagogical Museum – Guaratinguetá (SP)
Located in Guaratinguetá (SP), in a large 19th-century house, Conselheiro Rodrigues Alves Historical and Pedagogical Museum has the former Brazilian president’s largest thematic collection. There are approximately 1,600 items between papers, documents, books and bookbindings, commemorative medals, miniatures, photographs and household objects. The space that presently shelters the museum is protected by the Council for the Defense of Historical, Archeological, Artistic and Tourism Assets (Condephaat) and by the National Historical and Artistic Asset Institute (Iphan), preservation bodies from the state and federal spheres. The museum management was done by the Cultural Association for Support to Portinari’s House Museum (ACAM Portinari), from Brodowski (SP), in a partnership with the State Secretariat of Culture between 2008 and 2010. Presently, the cultural space is undergoing a municipalization process.
» Prudente de Moraes Historical and Pedagogical Museum – Piracicaba (SP)
The house of Brazil’s first civilian president, the imperial estate, a typical 1-floor urban construction from the second half of the 19th century, presently shelters the Prudente de Moraes Historical and Pedagogical Museum. In Prudente José de Moraes e Barros’ 32 years of life (1841-1902), the place worked as a meeting point for republicans to discuss national policy. After the family sold the estate, it sheltered the Washington Luiz Dentistry College, later called Prudente de Moraes. The museum, one of the oldest of its type in the State of São Paulo, was re-inaugurated in 2009 after its physical recovery and museological restructuring contemplating the patron’s public, political and private life, as well as Piracicaba’s history. Between 2008 and 2010, the museum was managed by the Cultural Association for Support to Portinari’s House Museum (ACAM Portinari), from Brodowski (SP), in a partnership with the State Secretariat of Culture. After concluding the museum’s municipalization process in 2010, the management became City Hall’s responsibility.
» Monteiro Lobato Historical, Folkloric and Pedagogical Museum – Taubaté (SP)
Monteiro Lobato Historical, Folkloric and Pedagogical Museum was created in 1958 in the house that belonged to Visconde de Tremembé, Monteiro Lobato’s grandfather by his mother’s side. The area, called “Fazenda da Cidade” (City Farm), was located between downtown Taubaté and the neighborhood Tremembé at the time in a 48-hectare lot containing fruit trees, pastures, woods, a creek and a waterfall, as well as the small garden created by his grandfather. With the patriarch’s demise, the family sold the property, which ended up abandoned. In 1962, the estate was protected by the then São Paulo State Historical Asset Department (DPHAN) due to its historical and architectural importance. The museum offers visitors books to be checked out or read at the house. On weekends, monitor’s offer art workshops and activities at the toy room, a space for fun and learning. Sítio do Pica Pau Amarelo (Yellow Woodpecker Country Home), as the property was known, also counts on a 18 thousand m² green area, a playground and picnic tables. From 2008 to 2010, Sítio do Picapau Amarelo was managed by ACAM Portinari in a partnership with the State Government the City Hall. Presently, the institution is undergoing a municipalization process.
» Bernardino de Campos Historical and Pedagogical Museum – Amparo (SP)
The Bernardino de Campos Historical and Pedagogical Museum building was built in 1885 to be Colonel Luiz de Souza Leite’s residence. The stately house, status it received due to its architectural characteristics, was where the city’s first telephone line was installed connecting the house to Palmeiras farm’s main house, which also belonged to the colonel at the time. After he passed away, the property was transferred to the city and was used as Amparo City Hall, the town hall and the Water and Sewage Service’s headquarters. When the public departments left, the museum was installed in the small palace. In 2003, the Unit for the Preservation of Museological Assets (UPPM), of the State Secretariat of Culture, reorganized its collection, partially donated by the families of the city. The collection includes several transportation vehicles, such as an ambulance, trolley cars and semi-trolley cars. Between 2008 and 2010, the museum was managed by the Cultural Association for Support to Portinari’s House Museum (ACAM Portinari), from Brodowski (SP), in a partnership with the State Secretariat of Culture. Presently, the institution is undergoing a municipalization process.
» Paulo Setúbal Museum – Tatuí (SP)
Paulo Setúbal Museum occupies a historic property located in downtown Tatuí. Built in 1920, the property that shelters the museum is one of the 107-thousand inhabitant municipality’s main tourism spots known as the “City of Music”. Even before it became a culture space, the building in Manoel Guedes Square already served the inhabitants. It was initially designed to shelter a jailhouse, and later it sheltered the city court. It was remodeled several times, but its initial project was always maintained. In 1962, it was transformed into the Paulo Setúbal Culture House and the Tatuí Historical Museum was created in 1966. Two years later, the cultural space management was transferred to the Secretariat of Culture, Sports and Tourism of the time, presently the São Paulo State Secretariat of Culture. The institution management that was under the responsibility of the Cultural Association for Support to Portinari’s House Museum (ACAM Portinari), from Brodowski (SP), in a partnership with the Secretariat of Culture, from 2008 to 2010, was transferred to the Tatuí City Hall, in accordance with the Municipal Law 4.345/2010, which made the institution’s municipalization official.